Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The good, the bad ...

You know the rest.

I woke up this morning feeling really good. Sleeping is usually an issue. I can't sleep on my right side since my right hip just can't take the pressure. I can't sleep on my left side because my left knee generally hurts if I do so (I am sure my left knee problems are related to my hip problems, but that is another story). And if I sleep on my back, well, my back starts to hurt.

But I usually do sleep on my back anyways, with a few tosses and turns during the night, and get 6 hours of sleep. I have good and bad nights but never pain free, until last night when I slept the entire night and woke up with nothing hurting. It was a great feeling! I should have known that it wouldn't last.

I went to the rink and all was OK until we did our first lift, and I felt my left inner hip socket pop. We tried a couple more times but I could not support my weight with my left leg as I have to do in this lift. The left hip is my "good" hip, or "better" hip anyway. We continued skating for the two-hour session.

Now here I sit with ice on both hips and inner thighs. The pain has radiated from the inside of the left hip to the outside and all the way to the right hip. It's as bad as the first time this all started hurting, when I was off the ice for 3 weeks and went to the doctor the first time. It hasn't been this bad since then. Shoot, what have I done? That is an easy lift and hasn't given me any problem until now.

I am seeing a surgeon to discuss periacetabular osteotomy next week. Perhaps I've taken a turn for the worse, I don't know. Tim is gone on vacation for a whole week starting Friday and I was going to work on my Cha Cha Congelado while he was gone, but it sounds now like I will be "resting."

Damn, damn, damn. Shit, shit, shit. I was hoping to put off any surgery for a while (a year, maybe two?) because things were going so very well for so very long. Maybe this is just a minor setback and not the start of my downhill slide into arthritisland. I'll find out tomorrow if I can skate, or walk, or not.

No comments: