Monday, March 21, 2011

The Great Orthotic Experiment

Day 2:

The progress continues. Today I was able to pad my foot enough to avoid some of the existing blister pain. I also removed the original insole to make more room for the orthotic (since my boots are custom and very tight fitting).

I was able to do some things that I hadn't even dared try since surgery (Quickstep choctaw, for example) since the outside edge had been too unsteady and it just seemed impossible.

I think I may have always had this problem but was able to muscle through in the past. Now that my muscles are not nearly as strong as they were pre-surgery, I must use good technique to do things and can't just get through them by pushing harder. My balance is also different now and my new hip alignment has exacerbated the problem.

This isn't going to fix everything, but it certainly makes it easier not to fight my own body all the time. I didn't realize how much I was doing that until today.

No comments: