Monday, May 10, 2010

Hike Hangover

It has taken me a week to get over my 3.3 mile hiking adventure. I am not sure if I'm fully recovered yet, but after some horrible skating and awful yoga-ing this past week, I am feeling a bit better.

I've found that I can do a lot on two feet at the rink. In fact, yesterday at social dancing I two-footed my way through the entire Westminster Waltz, Viennese Waltz, and Midnight Blues. All of these can actually be solo'd on two feet, which could mean we need a new event at Adult Nationals: Two-Footed Gold and International Solo Dancing (on half ice). In lieu of regular skating costume, competitors may wear butt or other padding; there are no test requirements but all competitors must have some sort of metal or artificial part in their body. X-rays will be taken. I'd rock that event.

Granted, I am doing tiny patterns and no pushing or edges, so pretty much just dinking around on two feet and turning now and then, so these are not recognizeable as the dances I want them to be. But I can pretend, and thanks to mothers' day there weren't enough people on the dance session to care that I was trying them.

It's Midnight Blues madness right now anyway, and so I was about the only one attempting the West when it came on. Everyone is learning the steps to the MB in anticipation of the High Dance Camp in August. Since I know the steps, I've been teaching them. I can demonstrate a lot of things on two feet and holding on to the wall, and since these are really good skaters and they've watched the videos they are able to translate my feeble attempts into actual skating.

It would really be nice if I could actually skate in time for the dance camp, but that remains to be seen. There are good days and bad days and I never know when I wake up in the morning which it will be.

No comments: