Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Driving under the radar

Well, I couldn't help myself. I was in my parents' suburban neighborhood. The streets are wide, people drive slowly, and there were no other cars on the road. The worst that could happen -- I could hit a mailbox, or maybe a trash can. So I drove around the block, and it was just fine.

I am not supposed to drive for two more weeks, but I had no problem moving my operated right leg from the gas to the brake and back again. I even drove several miles home from my parents' neighborhood in traffic, and all was well. I even had to slam on the brakes to avoid an idiot driver, and was able to do so.

I will be a good patient and promise not to drive long distances or on the freeway for two more weeks, because I could tell my thigh muscles were getting tired by the time I got home. But now I know it's safe for me to go to the grocery store, the post office, the coffee shop, or even the office, which I've promised my co-workers to do part-time starting next week (I was going to carpool with my Dad). Just knowing I can go places on my own feels so liberating!

1 comment:

Louisa B said...

Hey Terri,
I did the same and its amazing to feel some sense of independence! Keep healing!!
Louisa
myfaihippain.blogspot.com