Saturday, August 22, 2009

They're Back


Blue is annoyed by the smelly new cat toys.

My skates came back from Harlick yesterday with new tongues and other refurbishments. I put the laces in and put the sharpened runners on and then tried them on (on crutches, with no weight on the right of course).



Now the skates are propped up against the wall next to the bed. I see them when I wake up. Probably a stupid idea because I won't be using them any time soon. I had hoped Harlick would keep them longer because then I couldn't even fantasize about doing the Austrian Waltz over Labor Day weekend. Now I ponder when I'll really be able to skate.

Seems like as soon as I can walk, I should be able to skate, but I don't think that will really be true. Walking will be an iterative process; first bearing progressively more weight with one crutch, then bearing all my weight with one crutch or a cane, then lurching along without crutches or a cane, and finally walking with a limp that should diminish over time. I am not sure at which point I might want to venture onto the ice. But at least now I'm fully equipped when the time comes.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think it will be a great motivator to see them every morning. One step at a time, you'll be on the ice sooner than you know it!