Monday, August 17, 2009

Let's get physical

I have been in search of a physical therapist who is conveniently located, takes my insurance, has worked with dancers/skaters, and has worked with PAO patients. The first three things are easy to find, but it seems none of the in-network PTs have ever worked with a PAO patient. This is not insurmountable, but I'd really prefer someone who has been there and done that. After all, this is NOT your grandmother's hip replacement, yadda yadda yadda, and I don't want the person responsible for my rehab to treat me just like the resurf and THR hippies (no offense to y'all).

I know there are many surgeons out there who don't even prescribe PT, but mine does and I think there are many things a good PT can do for me. It's not that I'm lacking in the motivation department, or that I don't know how to go to the gym and sweat. I just want some guidance. For example, they can point out that I'm limping and teach me how not to. Or, they can evaluate where my body parts might be out of alignment or unbalanced and show me how to fix it. These are all things that I might notice through trial and error, but I'd rather leave their diagnosis and cure to a trained professional. I know my body pretty well, but I don't claim to know how to fix it when it's broken.

I finally found someone out of network who has worked with not one, but TWO post-PAO patients. She clearly has a good understanding of the challenges I will face, and she said that her PAO patients both did remarkably well. I've made an appointment with her and will ask if I can contact the PAO patients as references. She is working on getting Aetna to add her to their network. Now all I need is clearance from Dr. Mayo to start PT at my follow-up appointment on the 25th. Bones, heal thyselves!

No comments: