Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Put one foot in front of the other ...

Walking is so basic. It seems so easy. It's great exercise. It's good for you. Almost anyone can do it!

My stepdaughter Ashley is here visiting from Colorado, on break from college. Yesterday my mother and I showed her some of the highlights of Portland - the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden, and shopping on NW 23rd. I walked A LOT, more than I have since diagnosis, and didn't really make any accommodations except taking the shuttle up the hill to the Japanese Garden. Today I feel like somebody stood on my pelvis and took a baseball bat to my back, hips, and legs.

My 70-year-old mother accompanied us and wasn't even tired at the end of the day, while I was firmly planted on a chair complaining of how sore my legs were. That's right, me, the athlete.

We are supposed to be going downtown tomorrow and to the beach the following day, both walking-intensive activities. The wheelchair idea is sounding better and better. Wheelchair on sand at the beach? Probably not going to happen. I just need to get through this week and then it's only 4 more weeks until surgery. I can spend the weekend recovering from all of this walking.

I am now 100% convinced that I do need this surgery.

No comments: