Thursday, December 17, 2009

Four Weeks/Scar Pic

Today is week 4 + 1 day, and I drove myself to the pool. I was driving at 4 weeks last time, and that was when my right leg was operated upon, so I figured there was no reason not to drive as long as I am no longer under the influence of narcotics. I have been off the oxycodone for 2 weeks and only take an occasional Tylenol PM to sleep, so I know that I can drive safely.

Stayed in the pool for about 30 minutes and mostly bobbed around in the deep end with a flotation belt. I can't say I "walked" or "ran" in the water. I used my arms and right leg to ambulate, but didn't use the left leg much since I'm not supposed to. It feels good to get the right leg moving in the water again. I'll start "walking" with the left leg in a couple of weeks when I'm allowed to do so.

Not even 3 weeks to go until I see Dr. Mayo for my follow-up appointment. The time has gone by really fast, although at the time it seemed like an eternity.

My scar is so well done this time ... you really can barely see it after 4 weeks. I mean, you really have to know it's there. It can be covered by my swim suit if I pull it down. Scar shown below. There are two lines; the one on the left is the scar, and the one just to the right of that is the residual line from my swim suit. The fact that the two lines look similar shows how faint the scar is:



My left hip is not swollen like the right one was either. So I look pretty normal. People at the pool or who see me on crutches keep asking me what's wrong with my foot. I tell them that my foot is fine but my pelvis was broken in 3 places. The look on their face is interesting. They are expecting to hear about a sprained ankle or broken toe. It's not that I enjoy shocking people, but hey, they asked the question and I'm not going to sugar coat the answer!

I still have a bit more pain on this side despite less swelling and a prettier scar. My range of motion appears to be more limited as well, and this was historically my more flexible leg. So it remains to be seen how I'll recover long-term.

No comments: