Saturday, January 9, 2010

PT Post PAO

Last night I went to a dinner party where I unveiled my new party trick - sitting down on the floor and getting up again all by myself. Everyone thought this was just amazing, especially when they saw me lurching/walking.

As a resource for readers who may not have access to a physical therapist I am publishing some great exercises thanks to fellow PAO patient and blogger Frankenhip. She has some great diagrams on her blog which I will copy here when I have more time (meanwhile you can access them there). I have added a few exercises and additional comments that my PT has given me as well.

My limitations are similar to hers:

o No squats (this is a lifetime restriction)
o No lunges (this is a lifetime restriction)
o No forward leg lifts (my OS waffles on whether this is a lifetime restriction or not)
o No running (this is a lifetime restriction)
o No jumping - anything with both legs off the ground (this is a lifetime restriction)
o No stairmaster (this is a lifetime restriction)
o No incline on the elliptical (this is a lifetime restriction)
o No resistance on the elliptical (this is just until I build up strength, then I can add resistance as tolerated)
o Leg press can only be done to 70 degrees and with low weight/high rep (this is a lifetime restriction)

Exercises:
Do the following at home every day:

1.Bridging – 10 times holding for 10 seconds
2.Isometric Hip Adduction (with pillow or soccer ball as resistance)- 10 times holding for 10 seconds
3.Standing Bilateral Heel Rise (stand on my toes) – 3 sets of 15 reps (progress to doing on one foot at a time)
4.Clam Shells (laying on your side with bent knees and raising the knee to the side) – 3 sets of 15
5.One Foot Balance – Hold for 30 seconds, three sets, both legs. Once I can do 30 seconds, do this with my eyes closed
6. Sliding abduction/adduction - Sit on a floor (not carpet) with both legs out in front of you. Put operated foot on a towel so it slides easily. Slide foot out to the side, then slide back so both legs are together - 3 sets of 15 reps
7. Side leg raises (to activate the gluteus medius) - Lie on your side and raise the upper leg slowly, then lower, with the toe turned slightly in - 3 sets of 15 reps.


Gym Routine (2-3 times per week):

1.Stationary Bike: 10-30 minutes. My OS says that a recumbent bike is better for me than a regular bike. For any bike riding in the future I am not supposed to have a bike that puts me very low on the handlebars, but a more upright position puts less stress on the hip.
2.Pool: forward walk, backward walk, side stepping, total time of 15 minutes. Can do on different days from the bike until endurance builds up.
3.Leg press: < 70 degree hip angle, 50 pounds, 3 sets of fifteen
4.Seated Hip Adbuction: 30 pounds, 3 sets of fifteen (I don't have a seated machine for this so used a pulley while standing but either would work)
5.Seated Hip Adduction: 20 pounds, 3 sets of fifteen (I don't have a seated machine for this so used a pulley while standing but either would work)

2 comments:

HipRN said...

Terri,
Looking forward to comparing our left hip PAO's and reading how yours turns out in the long run. The muscular pain is really something!
~Marcie~

ojulius said...

I'm confused on your lifetime limitation list. Did you get the "whys" behind that? I'm doing everything on that list except running. That was the only thing I was told would be a lifetime limitation (by my surgeon).