Sunday, January 17, 2010

Update from Spokane

Evidently the best way to rehabilitate a broken pelvis is to judge a skating event. I refereed an event at 10 weeks after PAO#1, and here I am in Spokane at 8.5 weeks, spending my days in a huge arena, walking all over the place, going up and down stairs, and sitting on not-so-comfortable chairs for hours at a time.

I keep forgetting my cane (in the hotel room, in restaurants, in the offices we are using for a home base) so obviously my hip is an afterthought right now. It could be that yes, I really am that busy, but I also think I am getting stronger just because of all the activity. The pain in the butt(ock) is still there but diminishing each day, and I rarely think about my hip except at night (the hotel bed is not that comfortable).

Not that I am magically cured. I am still limping quite noticeably, have to rest frequently, and have a lot of muscle weakness. But I feel like I am doing phenomenally well at this point in my recovery compared to where I thought I'd be. I was a little nervous about coming to Spokane at 8 weeks post PAO, but I am relieved that it is not a problem. It is conceivable that I really will be back on the ice around the time of my birthday in March.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are doing so well! Hopefully, crutches and canes will be a thing of the past for good. By the way - the kids and I watched the pair skating final on TV.

Carl said...

You are soo lucky!! Wish I was there! Sounds like you are recovering nicely.

You've been through a lot in the last year, stress-wise, and physically, wow! Your rocking it!

Carl

Jen said...

You ARE doing phenominally well! Keep it up Terri...you're an inspiration!
Jen